The Department of Education
acquired the site now known as Barambah Environmental Education centre in 1977.
Originally established as 'A' Flat Forestry Camp in 1945, the site housed
Forestry workers who were employed in the Kabunga Nursery growing and also
planting Hoop Pine in the forest plantations at Jimmy’s Scrub and 'A' Flat.
Facilities at the Centre in 1977 were very
basic with an office, a corrugated iron walled dining room with an open fire
place for cooking meals and three wooden sleeping quarters. There were no
gardens and only a few trees in the Centre grounds.
Today the Centre has been transformed into a
beautiful oasis with native gardens and established trees. An extensive
plant nursery, with three hot houses and a large fenced hardening area has also
been established. In the 1990’s the old Gallangowan school was
moved to the Centre and is now used as the office and staff room. The
dining room and kitchen facilities have been updated and easily cater for all groups
who utilise the Centre, which has the capacity to sleep seventy-five.
the years the Centre has had a number of name changes beginning in 1977 as the
Mary River Field Study Centre. In 1980 the Centre was known as the
Barambah Field Study Centre and in 1988 it became Barambah Environmental